Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/austra8/public_html/modules/mod_sl_menu/libraries/helper.php on line 272
Parents - Migration Agent Perth

Australian Parent Visas

Australian Parent Visas are for overseas parents who have children who are citizens or permanent residents of Australia. There are two main categories of visas for parents wishing to migrate to Australia:

Australian Contributory Parent Visa scheme

  • Contributory Parent Visa (143)
  • Contributory Aged Parent Visa (864)

 Australian Parent Visa

  • Aged Parent Visa (804)
  • Parent Visa (103)

The main criteria for both parent category visas are the same. However, applicants for the Contributory Parent visa are required to make a significant contribution to their future health and welfare costs. The Contributory Parent visa category also offers temporary visas (173 and 884) valid for 2 years. Holders of a temporary Contributory Parent visas are able to apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa.

The number of Parent visas that can be approved annually is capped, but there is more than 3 times the number of places for Contributory Parent Visa applicants than Parent Visa applicants and, Contributory Parent Visas have a higher processing priority.

Applicants must be the parent of, and be sponsored by, a child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Applicants must meet the ‘balance of family’ test - see below.

In addition, the Public Interest Criteria (PIC) must also be met (Health and Character (Police Clearances)).  An Assurance of Support (Aos) bond must be provided. This is usually organised through Centrelink and is requested by the Department of Immigration during processing of the parent visa.

 "Balance of Family" Test (summary)

The number of children of the parent who are lawfully and permanently resident in Australia or are eligible New Zealand citizens usually resident in Australia is:
(i) greater than, or equal to, the total number of children of the parent who are resident overseas; or
(ii) greater than the greatest number of children of the parent who are resident in any single overseas country.

Aged parents: for men the qualifying age is 65 years. for women this depends on their date of birth.

To apply overseas or from within Australia?

Only the "Aged" parent visas can be applied for while in Australia and which will allow the applicant to remain in Australia while the parent visa is processed. That is, the parent or applicant (or at least 1 parent) must be over 65 years and 6 months old, and be inside Australia holding a valid visa that does not have any conditions preventing another onshore application. Usually the condition preventing an onshore application is 8503 - No further Stay. The following visas apply to onshore/Aged parent applications - 804 Aged Parent visa, 864 Contributory Aged Parent Visa and the 884 Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa.

Contact us to arrange a consultation to discuss your visa requirements or issues.  Please note that we do charge a nominal fee for a consultation. Our phone number is (08) 93010660. You can also make an enquiry using the form below.